Monthly Archives: August 2009
Smallgroups.com is the hub for the “Sticky Church” blog tour! They havet 18 blogs lined up to tackled the different chapters of Larry Osborne’s book Sticky Church, with each blog author tackling a different chapter. Leave a comment below on how you “slam the back door shut” and you might win a copy of Sticky Church. I’ll pick 5 random commentors this week and send them a copy of the book – so leave your email address or twitter handle as well so i can contact you.
In the opening session of the Leadership Summit at Willow Creek on Thursday of last week, Bill Hybels spoke about Leading in the New Reality. He was talking about how the rogue waves of the economic downturn have changed the game for leading the church. In a similar vein, multi-site ministry has become a new reality, or as the authors of the upcoming book, A Multi-site Church Roadtrip say, multi-site churches are becoming the new normal.
In an effort to adapt to the changing reality of economics, space, and atmosphere, multi-site ministry is becoming more and more prevalent. The authors share inside the book that
• On a typical Sunday in 2009, some 5 million people attend a multi-site church in the US and Canada.
• Leaders at some 45,000 churches are “seriously considering adding a worship service at one or more new locations or campuses in the next 2 years.”
• 37% of megachurches reported being multi-site in 2008, up dramatically from 27% in 2005
So multi-site is truly becoming the new normal. Authors Geoff Surratt, Greg Ligon, and Warren Bird takes readers on a guided tour of issues that arrive when doing multisite ministry and to 14 different multi-site churches and their lessons learned in A Multi-site Church Roadtrip. They also have a good deal of fun as they visit these churches.
In keeping with that sense of fun, Zondervan is sponsoring a roadtrip contest. Here’s how it works:
1. Write how your church creatively uses multiple venues in 100 words or less AND/OR send a photograph of a humorous road sign. Feel free to also include an iTunes imix with your favorite 10 roadtrip songs.
2. Email your definition/photo to Zondervan at: LNIS@zondervan.com
3. Include your name and mailing address.
4. The best entries will be posted on this blog and the Multi-site Church Revolution blog and 50 select winners will receive a free advance copy of A Multi-site Church Roadtrip. Entries must be submitted by September 10th to qualify.